Skip to main content

Doing your research at PDC

Academic researchers can use PDC's supercomputing systems, software and data storage for HPC research, and also obtain assistance from PDC's application experts.

PDC's HPE Cray EX, Dardel

Why do your research at PDC?

  • PDC's HPE Cray EX supercomputer, Dardel, is one of the largest supercomputers available for academic research in the Nordic countries.
  • PDC's application experts can provide a lot of help to anyone who would like to run research code or applications on PDC's systems.
  • PDC has a wide range of software packages for simulation and modelling available in a variety of research fields.

 PDC's services to assist academic HPC research

Who can use PDC's systems for academic research?

Academic researchers (postdoctoral level and above)

  • Academic researchers at postdoctoral level or above can use Dardel, free of charge, once they have been awarded an allocation of time on the systems.

Postgraduate students

  • Postgraduate (Ph.D.) students at Swedish universities (or who are based outside of Sweden, but are part of a Swedish research group or have a supervisor in Swedish academia) can be awarded time allocations on PDC's systems for research.
  • Usually a student's supervisor needs to apply for a time allocation on the student's behalf, however Ph.D. students in Sweden can often apply for smaller time allocations on their own.

Using PDC's systems for your research

Applying for time on PDC's systems

  • To use the PDC systems for academic research you will need to apply for an allocation of time on the systems.
  • Different sizes of time allocation are possible - ranging from small “test allocations” to test your code on PDC's systems to large allocations for large projects.
  • Applications for smaller alllocations can be put in at any time and are handled locally and quickly (within a week or two), so it is very easy to get started with a test allocation if you want to try out running your code at PDC.
  • Applications for large time allocations are handled through the National Academic Infrastructure for Supercomputing in Sweden (NAISS). There are several calls per year - see  or  for more information.
  • If you would like assistance to prepare an application to to use our facilities, please contact .
  • For more information about applying for time allocations at PDC, see the PDC Support pages about getting access to PDC's systems .

Information about how to use PDC's HPC services

For information about all aspects of using PDC's services (from getting an account to running software or storing data), please check the PDC User Support pages  or contact  directly.

Acknowledging use of PDC's HPC services

If you are awarded free allocations of time and/or storage at PDC or utilise free assistance from application or system experts through PDC, you are asked to  acknowledge the funding body and use of PDC's HPC services appropriately  .

Costs to use PDC's HPC services

You can read about costs for using PDC's HPC services and which services may be available free of charge  .