Getting compute time¶
Before running on PDC, users must belong to at least one Time Allocation.
Are you a researcher (PhD or higher) affiliated to swedish academia and requiring PDC resources?
Most research projects are handled through the SUPR portal, so applying/joining Time Allocation and applying for PDC account must be done via SUPR (https://supr.snic.se)
- If you want to start a new Time Allocation, see Apply for a new Time Allocation via SNIC
- If you are joining a research project that already has a Time Allocation at PDC, see Joining an existing Time Allocation.
Are you a student taking a course requiring PDC resource or a researcher participating in a project not available in SUPR ?
If you’re a participant of a course at KTH that does require PDC resources or a participant in non-SUPR project, you don’t have to send in a proposal for a Time Allocation.
- If you don’t have a PDC account, go directly to Apply via PDC webpage and fill in the form. Do not forget to specify the course code and the name of the course responsible. You also need to make sure you are included in the participant list managed by your course responsible. If you are a researcher participating in a project not in SUPR, you should specify the project name.
- If you already have a PDC account (maybe you used PDC for other courses), all you have to do is send us a mail at firstname.lastname@example.org Include your…
- Username at PDC
- The code for the course(project you are participating in. You also need to make sure you are included in the participant list managed by your course responsible or Principal Investigator.
Are you a student (Bachelor or Master level) requiring PDC resources for your thesis?
We do not accept applications directly from students below PhD student level. However, your supervisor can apply on your behalf.
Apply for a new Time Allocation via SNIC¶
Most Swedish research projects are now handled at the national level in SNIC through the https://supr.snic.se, so applying/joining Time Allocation, adding/removing users from Time Allocation, and applying for PDC account should be done from your SUPR page.
If you are applying for a new Time Allocation, you will automatically be designated as the Principal Investigator (PI). As a PI, you should decide on the…
- Compute-time per month for running jobs
- Clusters intended for usage
- Duration of the project.
Please keep in mind that the PI will apply for a Time Allocation to cover the needs of all the members in the research project. You can decide what allocation would suit the best for your project with the help of the table below:
|Description||Small allocation||Medium allocation||Large allocation|
|Limit||5K corehours/month||200K corehours/month||Above 200K corehours/month|
|Applicant requirement||PhD student or higher||Senior scientist in Swedish academia||Senior scientist in Swedish academia|
|Application evaluation||Only technical evaluation||(Assistant professor or higher) Only technical evaluation||(Assistant professor or higher) Scientific and technical evaluation by SNAC twice a year. Evidence of successful work on a medium allocation.|
To know more on what cores or corehours mean, please visit the Introduction page. Read more about time allocations and rules governing them at http://snic.se/allocations/
Once you decide on the details of your Time Allocation, you can go to Apply via a SUPR account. You can then login/signup on SUPR and submit a proposal. Once you are a member of an active project, you may apply for a PDC account, in case you do not have it, directly from SUPR.
Joining an existing Time Allocation¶
Applying/joining Time Allocation, adding/removing users from Time Allocation, and applying for PDC account must be done from your SUPR page. If you want to join an existing Time allocation, you have to login/signup on SUPR and send an Project Membership Request using the SUPR web interface. You may then apply for a PDC account, if you do not have a PDC account, directly from Apply via a SUPR account.
Apply for a Time Allocation via DECI¶
Time allocations can be granted for research projects from European countries other than Sweden through the DECI calls that are run by PRACE. For information about DECI, see http://www.prace-ri.eu/deci-projects. If you need information about, or assistance with, an application for DECI funding, please contact Dr Lilit Axner (mailto:email@example.com).
Check your existing Time Allocation¶
You can see what Time Allocations you belong to in two ways:
- If you have a SUPR account, go to your SUPR page and click on the Projects tab.
- If you have a PDC account, you can login to Beskow/Tegner and use the
projinfocommand. It will print the information of all the allocations you belong to and information on the recent usage of the allocation.
Applying for an account¶
Once you know what allocation you will belong to, you are ready to apply for a PDC account. You can apply for an account in one of following ways depending on the type of project.
Apply via a SUPR account¶
If you are involved in a project SUPR, the account request happens entirely in the SUPR website. Follow the instructions below:
- Sign up or login for SUPR https://supr.snic.se
- The following personal information must be entered in SUPR in order for PDC to create your account:
- Preferably Work Address
- Postal address
- Postal code
- Become a member/PI of an active project.
- Goto Accounts and press Request an account at PDC
- Fill in one or several preferred usernames
- Fill in Swedish personal number or date of birth
- Press Request account
- Information regarding account creation will be sent to the provided e-mail address
- Account information regarding username and password will be sent to you by paper mail
Changes in SUPR are automatically applied to PDC clusters overnight.
Apply via PDC webpage¶
Applying via the PDC webpage is possible for users that do not have a SUPR account. This applies to users participating in courses, users with PRACE accounts, users from SCANIA, or other users belonging to projects that are not in SUPR.
To apply for a PDC account, you need to fill in and submit the application form linked below. Before starting with the application, please be aware that:
- You will be asked to upload a scan of your passport or an international ID card that clearly states your nationality. Users without passport/ID can instead submit a recent printout from Skatteverket stating their nationality (personbevis) together with a copy of a valid identification. This can be ordered online from Skatteverket.
- You will be asked which postal address the password should be sent to. This should preferably be a university address.
- If you are applying for an account for a course which will use PDC resources, you can leave the “Supervisor / Project Leader” field blank and only enter the course title.
- Complete the application form at https://pdc-web-01.csc.kth.se/accounts/ and submit it.
Nationality: Why do we bother?
If you are concerned with what we do with your nationality information or why was ask, we at PDC do not care what nationality you have. Unfortunately, some of the computer vendors and states where these computers are manufactured do care. Therefore we have to restrict citizens of a small number of nationalities (there is a list which is updated now and then) access to whole or part of our facilities.
Request class access¶
If you are the instructor of a course affiliated to a higher school education in the Stockholm area and want to request access to PDC clusters for all course participants, please complete this application below.
Complete the application and submit
Please keep in mind that we will later ask you for a complete list of all the students participating in the course and will ask you to inform your students to apply for a PDC account.